Catawba Falls State Park
Catawba Falls State Park, NC
Catawba Falls was only 13 miles from our VRBO rental in Chesire Village, so getting to the park early was easy.
Click this image to watch our video of the Catawba River Falls.
This video is the property of Just Traveling Thru, LLC.
If you like our videos, click here to subscribe to our Youtube Channel.
Catawba Falls State Park, NC Map
The park is home to a stunning series of waterfalls, including the centerpiece, Catawba Falls, which cascades 100 feet into a lush gorge. Visitors can hike to the base of the falls, take a refreshing dip in the cool waters, or simply relax and enjoy the scenery.
We picked this as our next stop, because it is obviously pretty and it is on the way to Asheville, NC - our next "stay over" location.
Catawba Falls State Park is a hidden gem in North Carolina, nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The park is home to a stunning series of waterfalls, including the centerpiece, Catawba Falls, which cascades 100 feet into a lush gorge. Visitors can hike to the base of the falls, take a refreshing dip in the cool waters, or simply relax and enjoy the scenery.
The park is also home to a variety of other activities, including camping, fishing, and picnicking. There are several trails to explore, ranging from easy walks to challenging hikes. The park is also a popular spot for rock climbing and bird watching.
Catawba Falls State Park is located just east of Asheville, North Carolina. From Asheville, take I-40 East to Old Fort Exit 97. Head north on NC-221 for about three miles. The park entrance is on the right.
The hike to the base of Catawba Falls is a moderate 1.5-mile round trip from the parking lot. The trail is well-maintained and has a gradual incline. Be sure to wear sturdy shoes and bring plenty of water.
The pool at the base of Catawba Falls is a popular spot for swimming. The water is cold, but it's a great way to cool off on a hot day. Be sure to bring a swimsuit and towel.
Tips & Suggestions for a Catawba Falls Park Visit
- Wear or bring Sturdy shoes - The trails vary from flat & easy to rocky, undulating and sometimes steep.
- Water - There is no fresh water at the Falls, and as there are 11 dams up river, as well as industrial pollution, the water is not considered to be safe to consume.
- Swimsuit and towel (if you plan to go wading, it is not really deep enough to swim)
- Picnic lunch or snacks - There are no facilities at the Falls.
- Insect repellent
- The park is open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- The park is closed from May 2, 2022 through spring 2023 for trail improvements.
- There is a $5 parking fee.
- Pets are allowed on leash.
- Just Traveling Thru Travel Planning Tips
- Catawba Falls Hiking Trails on the "Asheville Trails" website
- Catawba Falls State Park on the "North Carolina State Parks" site
- Amazon Search Results list for "Catawba State Park"
- Youtube Search Results list for "Catawba State Park"
- Google Search Results list for "places to eat near Catawba Falls State Park"
- Visit our Youtube Channel
- Our Image Gallery for Catawba Falls State Park
- Wikipedia Article for Catawba Falls State Park
- Google Image Gallery for Catawba Falls State Park
Trip Itinerary & Destinations List
The overall trip was approximately 2,300 miles and we had laid out the routes and stops to allow us to become more familiar with areas that we had not previously visited. We go into more detail on each destination page, click any destination in the list below right;
Disclosure: Some of the links on this page are Affiliate Links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, that we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase. So we would appreciate any click throughs, if you are inclined.
Note: All images on this page are the property of Just Traveling Thru, LLC unless otherwise noted.
Note: If you are interested, click here to view our European Travel Tips & Warnings. Or to take a look at our methods for planning, click here to view our Trip Planning Page..
To review any of our content, make suggestions and/or comments, please click the "Info" menu button at the top of this page. You will find our "Contact Us" link on that drop-down menu.